Graig Llywarch Farm
Comprising, about 40 acres of hill farm, plus mountain rights. Legend has it that ‘Llywarch’, a minor Welsh Chieftain, (some versions describe him as a ‘Welsh Prince’ offended Bishop Gulfrid by plundering the village of Abergwenffrwd. As a penance, he gave land at Graig Llywarch to the church.
After the Norman invasion, Henllys was part of the Lordship of Machen. But we know nothing of the history of Graig Llywarch, until it emerges as part of the Tredegar Estate of the Morgan Family. According to information given by former bailiff the earliest records of the estate, which date from the end of the 17th century, show that by that time, there was a farm house, and the occupants name was ‘Edmunds’, and it been occupied by the family ever since.
Upon the break-up of the Tredegar Estate, the estate records were deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth. Graig Llywarch was sold to the Eagle Star Insurance Co., they in turn sold it to Bertha Baldwin, daughter of John, the last male Edmunds to have been a tenant, David Baldwin, grandson of John Edmunds, is now the owner-occupier.
There is circumstantial evidence to show that the area has supported members of the lineage of Edmunds, for several centuries, although, by the 20th, apart from the name there is no obvious connection. About 1920–1930 there was an Edmunds family living in Pontymister. Other people of that name are buried in Machen churchyard. At St Peter’s henllys, Williams Edmunds lies buried. He lived in the 19th century at Ty Newydd, and left behind quite a reputation a practical
Our most recent ancestors are to located in the ‘yard’ of the Zoar Chapel at Henllys. They are recorded a ‘Edward Edmunds’ who died in 1894, and his wife Mary who died in 1895. Both are described as ‘Of Graig Llywarch’.
Their children were: - Thomas, Ebenezer, John, and a daughter Mary.
It was this generation that this record starts, i.e., from about the period 1855-1865.